The story of Glendale Foods Limited, based at Glendale House, Cobden Street, Salford, goes back to Frank Mortimer who in 1957 bought a butcher’s shop on Lower Broughton Road, in Salford, for £1,700.
Frank’s wife, Doris, also worked in the shop, whilst mother-in-law Molly looked after their children Gill, then aged six, and John, aged one.
By 1969, Frank and Doris were supplying industrial canteens such as Ward & Goldstone, British Aerospace and Ferranti. Soon there was not enough space, so they rented a unit in Pendleton in the old Mandleberg building. This part became ‘Morties Meats’.
Founder, Frank Mortimer and his wife, Doris